The first settlers in Guaro were, without doubt, in the Prehistoric Era, as the remains discovered in the area around Ardite clearly witness to. There are also Roman remains within the municipal limits in the area known as the Polvillar, as are there traces of Arab culture in the zone around Guaro Viejo and the current site of Guaro.
It has been an independent town since 1614 thanks to King Felipe 4th who so declared. However, it became a County in 1648 and the first Count to take over the village was Don Juan Chumacero Sotomayor and Carrillo Laso de la Vega, and his descendants today still hold the title. Others prefer to think that this noble descent began in 1814.
In Guaro the houses are white-washed in lime, and have flowers all over the balconies, terraces and facades. Someone once said that they had counted up to 8000 flower pots hanging in the village. The streets are windy and show all the signs of the Arabic influence from the most glorious moment of its history. Visitors can see the beauty for themselves as they stroll along Calle Cerrillo or Calle Malaga where there is a plaque that gives witness that it has been voted the most beautiful street.
A stroll through the village will take visitors to the parish church of San Miguel Arcángel, the Santuario de la Cruz del Puerto or the Ermita de San Isidro that, although it is quite a recent construction, is considered as part of the artistic heritage of Guaro.
The local economy is based on the hotel trade and construction industry that a lot of inhabitants work in on the Costa del Sol. However, on the other hand, the other important element is, undoubtedly, agriculture, and more specifically still, the almond crops. It is quite surprising to know that Guaro is Spain’s largest producer of Almonds given that the whole municipality only covers 22 square kilometres. This also means that there are other smaller, but also important industries that have developed around the almond crop, such as the manufacturing of almond tortas, cakes, and mantecados.