This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data. More information

 
×

History of Almogía

Diputación de Málaga

History of Almogía

As for the origin of the name Almogia, historians coincide in that it comes from far back in history and there are two main theories as to the exact source. Diego Vázquez Otero links it to the name of a tribe called the al-mexîes, while Asîn Palacio is inclined to believe that its name means “ The Beautiful one”. Whatever be the case, it is well known that the town of Almogia was vitally important during the Morîs occupation. During the uprising by Omar ben Hafsún against the omeyas cordobeses, the fortress of Sancti Petri (Hins Xan Biter) played a very important role in the defence of Bobastro.

This village surrendered to the Catholic Kings in May 1487, who promtly named the Christian captain Mosên Pedro Santiesteban as its Mayor. Later on, in 1570, the Moors from Almogîa took part in the rebellion. On their defeat, the majority of them were expelled from the lands and as a result the wholw area was depopulated. The King soon ordered other Christians from other towns like Teba and Antequera, which at that time belonged to the Kingdom of Seville, to go and repopulate this village.

During the War of Independence Almogia and its castle were invaded by French troops and destroyed as they left as an act of revenge and reprisal. The tower that stands today, which was the Vela, managed to survive in its originals height up until the second decade of the 20th century and even today the place occupied by the famous bell can be appreciated. Half of the part of the tower was knocked down for fears of it collapsing and the lower part was reinforced as well.

As for the characteristics of the urban development of the village, it must be said that it is unique in many ways. The two-tiered houses covered with gabled roofs covered in red tiles follow a particularly irregular design that speaks of the influence from the Moorish part of the village’s history. In fact the village’s past from the 18th and 19th century can be sensed all over: There is the Peñuelas, Hortezuela and Estación; from the Town Hall square, and part of Calle Sevilla, which is the widest of them all. And close to the square, as you go up a steep hill, you come across the “iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción” with its magnificent coffered ceiling., which is built on the old mosque.

The village’s economic wealth depends, on the whole on, agriculture, especially small fruit tree industries that are dotted around the area. However the olive crop and the diverse cereal crops (wheat and cebada) are close behind in importance followed by the almond and wine producers.