Esta web utiliza cookies para obtener datos anónimos de acceso. Si continúa utilizando este sitio asumiremos que está de acuerdo.
 
×

Torre Ladrones (Thieves Tower)

Diputación de Málaga

Torre Ladrones (Thieves Tower)

Ownership: Public
Period: Medieval Islamic
Construction system: Masonry and brickwork
Style of architecture: Simple
Architectural elements: Its high-rise tower was reinforced with a plinth to avoid the swaying. There were three rooms with a brick vault and a terrace equipped with a sentry box.
Condition: Restored and in good state of repair
History: This tower linked Marbella and Fuengirola during the Nasrid period. Given the site’s importance, in 1497 the Catholic Monarchs established a watchtower there and increased its garrison in 1501 to control the Mudejars. In the 18th century, the tower was still involved in coastal defence, although it was not in a condition to house artillery.
Access to the Coastal Path: Yes
Geolocation: 36º 29’ 9’’ N 4º 44’ 28’’ O
Surroundings: This tower is located in the heart of the Coastal Path, between the footbridges of the Dunas de Artola natural monument by the Cabopino port. It is an excellent location for cultural activities.

 

Torre Ladrones is the tallest watchtower on the Málaga coastline, therefore providing the widest field of view.

It went by this peculiar name in the late 15th century. Ladrones likely refers to the loopholes (ladroneras) placed on the machicolation floor, and that served both as observation and battle posts.

This tower linked Marbella and Fuengirola during the Nasrid period. Given the site’s importance, in 1497 the Catholic Monarchs established a watchtower there and increased its garrison in 1501 to control the Mudejars. In the 18th century, the tower was still involved in coastal defence, although it was not in a condition to house artillery.

During the Muslim era, eastern Marbella cove was guarded from this watchtower, since it was built on a sandy point close to the boundary between the Marbella and Mijas municipalities.

Monuments and Art > The Tower and The Fortified Building
Ctra. Nacional 340, salida Cabopino. Playa Artola