Octagonal Bullring of Carratraca
Heading along Calle de la Glorieta to the north east of the village, tucked away in the foothills of the Sierra Blanquilla or Sierra de Baños, we find the Plaza de Toros (Bullring).
In the second half of the 19th century, during the celebrations in honour of the town’s patron saint, a series of novilladas, bullfights using three-year-old bulls, were held in the local bullring. The ever-increasing influx of bathers required the construction of a larger bullring to serve as a venue for these events. This new bullring was opened on the 25th of June, 1878, boasting a capacity of 3,000 spectators in addition to excellent acoustics, and a number of famous "mataores" of the day performed here. Today, one hundred years on, it still stages novilladas during the Feria de Agosto (August Fair), as well as serving as the venue for events such as the "Embrujo Andalusî de Carratraca" and the representation of the Passion of Christ during Holy Week.