Church of Our Lady of la Encarnación
Located in the Plaza Baja de la Despedîa, this church is the third largest in the province. The interior is divided up into three naves separated by thick pillars on which rest a framework of wooded arches. It is all finished off true to the Mannerist style of the 17Ith century.
This church is a symbol for the people of Alora, along with the Moorish Castle. At the beginning it was located above what was the mosque of the castle. As the people move within the city and the neighborhood grow, it became necessary to build another church parish better placed. Its construction lasted almost a century, from 1600 to 1699.
The church has a rectangular plan with three naves separated by Tuscan sturdy columns of flat module, with flip arches with paintings of the apostles. Three sculptural images are the most relevant samples: Jesus Crucified, work of the local sculptor Navas Parejo, who chairs the High Altar, a painful (Dolorosa), anonymous from the seventeenth century, located in the nave of the Epistle, and a St. Francis of Assisi, polychrome wood, at the Gospel.
Several paintings are remarkable: The Descent from the Cross and the Purgatory, placed in the Chapel, and the Conception of Our Lady, the Crucifixion and San Ildefonso in the aisles.