Parish Church of St. Lorenzo
This interesting church was finished in 1559 but renovated in the 18th century.
Formerly part of the Palacio del Conde de los Corbos, which belonged to the founders of the village of Abdalajîs, it now consists of three naves.
The presbytery is dominated by a finely-crafted crucifix which hangs above the Sagrario chapel, flanked by representations of the birth of Christ and the flight to Egypt. One side of the presbytery are occupied by an image of El Resucitado purchased in 2001 and the image chamber that houses the statue of the local patron saint, the traditional Virgen de los Dolores. The other features an image of Madre Petra de San Josê, a native of the village who was beatified by Pope John Paul II. The church’s central nave is home to an image of the patron saint of the village, San Lorenzo Mártir, which stands opposite statues of San Josê, the Virgen del Carmen and Santa Rita. Its other nave features an image of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno con el Cireneo ayudando a cargar la cruz.
It stands next to the Casa del Conde de los Corbos, its highlight being the tower whose bells were lost, two of them (Virgen de los Dolores and Padre Jesús Nazareno) being restored twenty-five years ago, while 2002 saw the purchase of the other two required to fill the tower’s four bays, which were named San Lorenzo and Cristo de la Sierra respectively.