This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data. More information

 
×

Church of San Francisco

Diputación de Málaga

Church of San Francisco

A 17th century (1624) Franciscan convent notable for its plasterwork. Currently used as an Exhibition Hall.

This church was built in houses owned by Don Fernando Enriquez de Ribera and Giron, Duke of Alcalá, while building a more suitable building not far from that place. It is popularly known as La Cartuja.
The convent had two perfectly distinct bodies, the church of the early seventeenth century, made of brick and masonry, and is attached to it a small square cloister which ceased to exist in the seventies of the last century. The church has a Latin cross plan and cover the nave with a barrel vault with arches and lunettes. Rise in cruise pendentives containing the coats of arms of the villa surrounded by braces and acanthus. This acanthus decoration invades presbytery also cover and drops pilasters framing the straight wall of the head, noting with simplicity almost classical entablature whose only ornament is a steak denticulate under the cornice.
The interior of this church can be dated to the first half of the seventeenth century. The Mannerist remnants of the decoration of the cruise correspond to this century. The exterior, masonry work and brick mixed, presents its facade framed by buttresses and crowned by a slender steeple.

Monuments and Art > Convent
C/ San Francisco, s/n, Zip Code 29340