Church of Our Lady of el Reposo
This is Campillos’ most significant monument. It was built in the early 16th century (1506), although it was heavily restored in the 18th and 19th centuries, the most important renovation taking place between 1805 and 1821. As a result, it features a number of different architectural styles, though neoclassicism and Seville baroque are the dominant trends.
The church is of the Doric variety, with two stone faèades, the main one built in baroque style, the other in the Doric tradition, which are considered to be among the most spectacular to be found in the region. The main faèade is the work of Antonio Matîas de Figueroa and is laid out in the manner of an altarpiece, with a dinteled bay whose keystone houses a sculpture of the Virgin and Child, pilasters with semi-circular shafts, scroll entablature, burnished streaked marble supported by stone blocks and a projecting cornice with pinnacles at each end.
The building is of rectangular ground plan with three naves, a main chapel, 17th century tower-belfry, sacristy and chapels along the walls of the Gospel nave. The central nave, which is marked out by round pillars, is covered by a half-barrel vault, while the other two feature arris vaults. Alongside the pillars, Ionic pilasters support a denticulated entablature which runs horizontally across the walls of the naves and the presbytery.
The main altar consists of a pinewood tabernacle with eight Ionic columns of imitation marble and jasper dominated by a 17th century carving of Nuestra Señora del Reposo from the Granada school.
In September 2004, the Andalusian Regional Government declared the church an item of cultural interest, establishing a protection order around it that includes public and private areas of Calle San Sebastián, Calle Benito Luna, Calle Real, Calle Santa Ana and Calle Donantes de Sangre, as well as Plaza de España and Plaza Gallego Cuêllar.