Parish church of San Juan Bautista
Of Mannerist design, this building dates back to 1584 and the highlight of its interior is the 17th century image of Cristo de la Salud y de las Aguas, without doubt the most revered in the town.
This parish church was built in the late 16th century, one of the town’s most active periods as far as construction is concerned.
Though its exterior is simple in appearance, inside, the church is immensely solemn. Its basilica-style ground plan is an attempt to imitate the column-based church of Santa Marîa la Mayor. It is divided into three naves by three large Tuscan-style columns without entases which support a set of three half-point arches on each side. The main nave features a wooden ceiling structure.
In the main chapel, we can admire an attractive Mannerist altarpiece created in 1646 by Toribio Sánchez Calvo. It comprises two sections and an attic divided into three aisles by Ionic and Doric pilasters which combine to produce a simple but elegant design that frames a series of pictorial compositions.
By virtue of their enormous size, the highlights of the side altarpieces are two works by the painter Antonio Mohedano, La Adoración de los Pastores and La Inmaculada rodeada de santos.
Also worthy of mention is the image of El Cristo de la Salud y las Aguas, an early 17th century crucifix much revered in the town which is paraded through the streets accompanied by masses of candle-bearing devotees.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica de Antequera