Castillo de la Estrella (Castle of the Star)
The castle sits atop a hill known as Cerro de la Estrella, from which the castle’s name is derived. Despite being under occupation since ancient times, it enjoyed greater significance in the medieval era, when it was the second line of defence in the Ibn Hafsun’s rebellion against the State of Córdoba, and in 1328, when it served against the Nasrid kingdom while being under the Castilian power.
Standing 600 metres high, it was of immense strategic importance, since it overlooks not only the town that lies at its feet but also the broad plains that provide the northern entrance to the Serranía de Ronda mountains.
Considering it covers a surface area of some 25,000 square metres, it is one of the largest castles that are still standing in the province of Málaga. It features two walled areas and its exterior, which is adapted to the surrounding terrain and is reinforced by a barbican in the northeast, with a total of 18 towers and a further octagonal structure facing north. The fortress contained inside was home to the lord of the castle. Throughout its history, its border location has seen it occupied by a variety of different cultures, undergoing a number of extensions as a result.