Esta web utiliza cookies para obtener datos anónimos de acceso. Si continúa utilizando este sitio asumiremos que está de acuerdo.
 
×

Torre Bermeja Watchtower

Diputación de Málaga

Torre Bermeja Watchtower

La Torre Bermeja is one of three watchtowers on the coast of the municipality of Benalmádena. The other two are the Torremuelle and Torrequebrada.

It is thought that it was built in the late fifteenth century by Muslims on a rocky promontory in Punta Saltillo. Its strategic location allowed visualizing the Alboran Sea coast, as well as communicate between towers through fire and smoke and other nearby towns in the presence of enemy ships off the coast of the Kingdom of Granada.

In 1567 it was rebuilt by the mason Pedro de la Chica. It owes its name to its reddish color. It was cylindrical in shape of 3 meters in diameter and 10 meters high. It is characterized by its conical base that serves as reinforcement to the strong wind and a double crowning fascia, added later. Its inner room currently remains inaccessible.

After the construction of the Puerto Deportivo de Benalmádena (opened in 1982) the tower had lost the position oceanfront, as the port area is in front of it. In fact, today is in the garden square that gives entrance, very close to the park “Sea Life of Benalmádena”.

Monuments and Art > The Tower and The Fortified Building
Avd. de Alay s/n (Puerto Deportivo de Benalmádena), Zip Code 29630