This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data. More information

 
×

Monastery of the Catalinas

Diputación de Málaga

Monastery of the Catalinas

Known popularly as Las Catalinas, this convent, home to the nuns of the Dominican order, was founded using funds bequeathed by Francisco Padilla y Alarcón, an illustrious Antequera cleric who wrote numerous works in both Latin and Spanish.

The original church was replaced by the present-day building in 1735, the latter being the work of Andrês Burgueño.

Its structure is typical of the convent church, comprising a single nave, a main chapel and a choir below ground level.

The exterior is of great simplicity and beauty, its highlights being the small tower on the corner, the rhythmic series of high lattices and the main entrance to the building itself.

The heavily Baroque-inspired plasterwork that decorates the interior features a profusion of angels and vegetable motifs, the work of Antonio Rivera.

Though the works of art on display inside are not of particular merit, they do manage to create a feeling of pleasant simplicity. The highlight of the main altarpiece is the Virgen del Rosario, probably by Diego Márquez y Vega.

The best of the paintings on show is the 16th century Anunciación.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica de Antequera

Monuments and Art > Convent
Coso Viejo, 3, Zip Code 29200