This building was begun in the early XVIII century by Juan Manuel Colarte y Lila and subsequently finished by his heirs. Years later, following several changes of ownership, it fell into the hands of the Pareja-Obregón family, with whom it remained until 1864. It changed hands several times more before being acquired in 1919 by Salvador Muñoz for his son to live in. The years that followed saw the house attain its maximum splendour, with improvements to the structure itself, the introduction of period furniture and a wealth of other additions.
In view of the difficulties encountered in preserving it, the Antequera Municipal Tourist Board suggested that the Provincial Council purchase the house, which it did, subsequently transforming it into the House-Museum that prevails today and which is used to accommodate important guests of the Council.
The outside of the building is an example of the “framework-faèade” model, an aesthetic concept common in local Mannerism. In the lower section of the house, built of red sandstone from nearby El Torcal, the door is marked out by two plinth-mounted Tuscan columns which support the classical entablature decorated with triglyphs. The stronger, heavier upper section, which features mortared bricks and a wealth of dressed stone elements, contrasts sharply with its lower counterpart.
The highlight of the interior, which is reached via a long passage guarded by a XIX-century ornamental gateway, is the rectangular staircase featuring two flights of stairs running in opposite directions separated by an iron banister. The half-barrel vault with crescent lunettes is rounded off by two spherical paintings mounted on pendentives, the whole ensemble being decorated with polychrome plasterwork. One interesting feature is the mini altarpiece hanging on the landing wall which contains a painting of the Virgen del Rosario.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica de Antequera