Esta web utiliza cookies para obtener datos anónimos de acceso. Si continúa utilizando este sitio asumiremos que está de acuerdo.
 
×

Estepa's Gate

Diputación de Málaga

Estepa's Gate

La Puerta de Estepa was named such as it way the gateway for visitors who came from Seville. It was originally built in 1749 and was the work of the municipal master-builder, Martîn Bogas. The central arch, which is the largest, was used for the carts to enter, while the side ones were for travellers on foot. It was knocked down in 1931 due to the difficulties it presented for the new vehicles that were beginning to circulate through the city. It was rebuilt in 1998 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the Real Feria that takes place in Antequera each August.

The site it occupies today is only a few metres from the original and it is built in true Baroque style. It even has some of the original elements incorporated into it like the base, the Royal coat of Arms and the Coat of Arms of the city and the Chief Magistrate.

It is overseen by an image of Nuestra Señora del Rosarioand image of Santa Eufemia set in a ceramic plaque.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica of Antequera

Monuments and Art > The door and the Bow
Plaza de la Constitución, s/n, Zip Code 29200