The Iglesia de Santiago, built as a chapel in 1519, was gradually rebuilt during the first half of the 18th century.
The exterior, which dates back to 1745 and is the work of the master architect Cristóbal Garcîa, is particularly interesting. Reminiscent of the Mudêjar school, it combines the faèade-bell gable with a chapel-gallery construction.
The interior is extremely simple, with a single nave covered by a half-barrel vault and a half-orange main chapel. The main altarpiece, reconstructed in modern times using Baroque elements from the Convento de las Descalzas convent, leads to the dressing room for the image of the Virgen de la Salud, an exquisite example of Baroque by Martîn de Bogas.
The rest of the church is attractively decorated with tempera paintings representing curtains and other elements.
It now features four altars and a baptismal chapel.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica de Antequera