This bullring was built by the Sociedad de la Plaza de Toros de Antequera, a society made up of local enthusiasts eager to create a permanent bullfighting venue to replace the makeshift arenas built from boards and fences in public squares hitherto used for the purpose.
In 1847, the site was acquired and work began under the supervision of first Manuel Garcîa del Alamo and subsequently Rafael Mitjana, the architect of Malaga’ Plaza de Toros Vieja.
In view of the need to complete the building in time for the Feria de Agosto, the materials used in its construction were sandstone rubble, bricks and wood, and temporary wooden seating was installed, though this was ultimately retained until 1917. The bullring was inaugurated on the 21st of August 1848.
It is built on two levels and has eight separate entrances. Facilities include two stables and two yards plus seven pens for the bulls themselves, in addition to administrative offices and a medical wing. It currently holds 8,268 spectators.
In 1980, the local council bought the property and began an extensive restoration and rebuilding project in 1984 under the supervision of Jesús Romero. A new entrance to the shaded seating area was built in the style of the 18th century Antequera school. The wooden roofing covering the upper rows of seating was replaced by a loggia-style structure consisting of Tuscan columns in white limestone and Roman arches. This structure and the wall of the main faèade were used to support a sloping roof with old Arabic tiling.
The lower level of the bullring was rehabilitated to accommodate a bullfighting museum and a restaurant.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jesús Romero Benîtez, Guîa Artîstica de Antequera