Church of San Pedro de Verona
This parish church was built and dedicated to San Pedro de Verona.
The original building dates back to the 16th century but it was destroyed during the Moorish uprising in 1570 when 500 soldiers came to the Sierra Bermeja to expel the Moors from the village. This met with the wrath of the Moors who wanted to protect their wives and children from the Christians. The officer in charge, Pedro Bermúdez, left some soldiers in the church to look after some elderly people who were taking refuge there. However, the Moors saw what they were doing and surrounded the church. They forced everyone to come out except the soldiers who they barricaded inside and then set fire to the church, burning them alive.
The most important part of the reconstruction took place in the last part of the 18th century. Purists would say therefore that the two architectural styles employed were a strictly academic baroque, but there are details more in line with the Mudejar style common to the post conquest era. An example of this is the simple wooden panelling of the central nave.
The interior is divided up into three naves which are separated by half-rounded arches and covered by wooden panelling. The front is open next to the Evangelic and the octagonal tower is the most outstanding feature on the exterior.