Ruins of the Eagle’s Castle
At the highest part of the village the remains of the Eagle´s Castle (Castillo del Águila) can be seen. It was of Arabic origin and was built around the 10th century. Today the elements that have been preserved are the wall, the “Torre Homenaje”, the cisterns and several other structures. It has been rebuilt on several occasions, the latest of which was in 1808 on the occasion of the War of Independence. It was restored in 1842 during the governance of General Esparto. Within the enclosure there are three cisterns, a mine and an underground escape passageway, which was dug by the Arabs. The Ermita del Santo, which was once used as a military headquarters and one of the towers as an ammunition store is on the eastern side of the castle. It was armed with weapons and had a garrison up to the last century.