Small bird (approx 10 cm or 4 in) with brown ocher plumage and dark stripes all over the body. Clearer underparts. Short, dark, rounded and narrow tail when folded. When unfolded it is quite wide, with whitish terminal ends. Very undulating flight.
Where it lives
Wet grasslands, beds of reeds or rushes and crop boundaries, always near water points.
How it lives
Species resident in the province. The Zitting Cisticola breeds from March, making two or three layings of 4 to 7 eggs. Very elaborate nest, in the shape of an elongated bag, hidden in the low grass. It feeds on insects and spiders, captured during its movements by the grasslands. Very territorial. The male performs a characteristic flight that does not go unnoticed, neither for the sight nor for the hearing: it goes up and down at a height of about 20 meters, singing at the top of each rise, emitting a strong and penetrating "seep-seep-seep".
Where it can be seen in Malaga
Frequent and easy to detect species. This bird can be observed in the mouth of the Guadalhorce and Vélez rivers. It is also present in most meadows and grasslands of countryside near the coast of the entire province.
Routes where it can be observed
- Campillos – Sierra de Yeguas
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 03: Vélez-Málaga - Torrox
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Laguna de Fuente de Piedra Nature Reserve
- Lagunas de Campillos
- Los Llanos de Antequera – Cartaojal – La Sarteneja
- Mouth of the Guadalhorce Nature Reserve
- The Mouth of Rio Velez
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River