Libélula Anax parthenope
Length: From 62 to 75 mm.
Hindwing spam: From 44 to 51 mm.
Male: 1. The top of the eyes is green. 2. Brown thorax. 3. S1 is brown. 4. S2 and the part of S3 is blue, as well as the sides. There is a yellow ring outlined in black on S2, at the place where it is joined with S1. 5. Narrow section on S3. 6. Grey or brown abdomen with an upper black stripe. 7. Long anal appendages. 8. Wings are slightly yellow in the centre.
Female: It is similar to the male in patterns, but it is not so narrow on S3 and S2 and S3 are not brightly blue.
It mainly lives in slow-flowing or standing water bodies, such as pools in rivers and streams, reservoirs for watering land and golf courses, other reservoirs, artificial ponds and deserted quarries. It usually lives in emergent water vegetation, rushes, bulrushes and cane reeds.
Way of life
Males are very territorial and they protect breeding spots.
They hardly ever rest during the day, but when they do so, they take up a vertical position. Normally, they hang in the vegetation. Females can hardly ever be seen. Only when they come to water to reproduce. They lay eggs on emergent plants with the male in tandem. They feed on all kinds of flying insects, including large dragonflies, such as Aeshna mixta.
When to see this species
It can be seen in Mélaga throughout the year. It is more common from June to October. However, it is generally abundant in September.
Where to see this species
It is common and widespread in the province. Along the Great Málaga Path, it can be seen individually on any of its stages, although it decreases in range northwards, from stage 13 to 19 and on the stages that are close to the coast (from 1 to 5 and 30).
Anax imperator and A. ephippiger.
The species is not endangered nor is it particularly protected by the current environmental law.
Routes where it can be observed
- GR 249. Stage 09: Periana - Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto)
- GR 249. Stage 01: Málaga - Rincón de la Victoria
- GR 249. Stage 02: Rincón de la Victoria - Vélez-Málaga
- GR 249. Stage 03: Vélez-Málaga - Torrox
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 06: Frigiliana - Cómpeta
- GR 249. Stage 07: Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- GR 249. Stage 08: Canillas de Aceituno - Periana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 13: Archidona - Villanueva de Tapia
- GR 249. Stage 14: Villanueva de Tapia - Villanueva de Algaidas
- GR 249. Stage 15: Villanueva de Algaidas - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249. Stage 16: Cuevas Bajas - Alameda
- GR 249. Stage 17: Alameda - Fuente de Piedra
- GR 249. Stage 18: Fuente de Piedra - Campillos
- GR 249. Stage 19: Campillos - Embalses del Guadalhorce
- GR 249. Stage 20: Embalses del Guadalhorce - Estación de El Chorro
- GR 249. Stage 21: Estación de El Chorro - Ardales
- GR 249. Stage 22: Ardales - El Burgo
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 26: Jimera de Líbar - Benalauría
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 31: Marbella - Ojén
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 33: Mijas - Benalmádena
- GR 249. Stage 34: Benalmádena - Alhaurín de la Torre
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- GR 249.1. Stage Mollina - Humilladero - Fuente de Piedra
- GR 249.2. Stage Puerto de los Pescadores - Alhaurín el Grande - Alhaurín de la Torre
- GR 249.3 Section 2. Stage Cuevas de San Marcos - Cuevas Bajas
- GR 249.3. Section 1. Stage Villanueva de Tapia - Cuevas de San Marcos