History of Alhaurín el Grande
The origin of this name has been question of much debate over time. Plinio chooses to call it "Andorisae" o "Andorisippo" while on the other hand, Rodrîguez Berlanga has his reserves and prefers "Iluro" and Guillen Robles attributes the name of Lauro, however there is no official documentation that proves either. Anyway, it seems that the Romans opted for Lauro Nova and the Moors Al- Haur.
Remains (statues, coins, gravestones, and other remains) from the Neolithic, Iberian, Greek, Roman and Visigothic Ages, which prove the existence of humans, have been found in the surrounding areas(discovered in the Huertas Altas zone). The Arabs called it Al Haur or “Alhaurin” and the Catholic Kings added “ El Grande” on to it to distinguish it from the its neighbour Alhaurin de la Torre.
The meaning of Alhaurîn is said to be "Jardîn de Alá", "La Hoya" or "El Valle", although recent research backs the name"los Libres".
The municipality was reconquered by the Catholic Kings in May 1485, which was the same year that it was included in the Kingdom of Castilla and then, in 1492, was allowed to form a local governing Council..
Its Parish church was built in 1505 an from this date on the first brotherhood started to appear. A little later the Hospital Real de Santa Catalina was also constructed. In 1634 the inhabitants of Alhaurin bought their district along with the title of “villazgo a la Corona”, and incorporated the Bouron royal family fleur-de-lis into their coat of arms. All relevant information as to the situation in the 18th century are compiled in the property register put together by Marquês de la Ensenadain 1751, which is still kept in the Local Municipal. During the 19th century it was the place chosen by the affluent families of Malaga to build their country or holiday residences.
The Town Hall is located at the heart of the town in the main square. From here a stroll down Piedras Street and into Cruz Street will take you to the town’s Bull fighting museum. and the Fuente de los Doce Caños.
The local economy is based on commercial activity and agriculture, which was the most important generator of wealth in the region more than a millennium ago when olive oil and, wheat and figs were the principal traded commodities. However, the whole area is full of beautiful landscapes, historic sights, like the remains of the Arab fortress of Fahala and the Watchtower of Urique. Both took their names from people from the local area who dedicated to working the land.
To a large extent the identity of Alhaurin as a town is based on its traditions. The most important one is without doubt the Easter week celebrations when the two century-old rival brotherhoods, the “verdes” and the “moroas,” take the streets. Although, another rather curious spectacle is when another brotherhood, the “mulliones” sing the mysteries of Rosario early in the morning during the month of October. This was one of the local traditions that most grabbed the attention of the writer Gerald Brennem, who was a romantic traveller who roamed around Andalucia before finally settling in this municipality until his death.