History of Alhaurín de la Torre
The origins of this village can be traced back to ancient times, when its early settlers and invaders included the Phoenicians, who set up factories in Málaga and Cártama around the year 1000 before Christ. As a result of this Phoenician business enterprise, the village of Lauro was born.
Centuries later, Rome gave the village its seal of antiquity by calling it Lauro Vetus. During the Arabic period, Lauro Vetus became Albarracîn (Albaizîn, Alhah-Ahrrain) meaning “Tower of Merciful God”, and a number of scattered settlements sprang up from this Muslim village. The reconquest of Alhaurîn de la Torre in 1485 marked the turning point in the Christianisation of Spain, and the Catholic Monarchs themselves gave this town its present-day name.
During this period, the village was repopulated by settlers from other areas and continued to grow until it became the town we know today. A number of archaeological discoveries have been made in Alhaurîn, but perhaps the most important are those at La Estación de la Alquerîa, an 18-hectare site that was first occupied in the 3rd or 4th century before Christ, which have been declared an Item of Cultural Interest by the Andalusian Regional Government.
Alhaurîn de la Torre, south east of Málaga and north of the Sierra de Mijas, is situated at the foot of a mountain known as Jabalcuza, which offers an excellent panoramic view of the town itself. It is home to a number of locations of immense ecological value, such as the area known as Jarapalo .
In Alhaurîn de la Torre, traditional produce is grown alongside newer crops (olives, beetroot, cereals, vines, vegetables and tropical plants), while hunting is widespread in the higher areas. However, industry and services now have greater bearing on the town’s economy.