Acequia de Lízar, Pozo Batán, Molinos de Frigiliana y Fábrica de Ntra. Sra. del Carmen (Irrigation canal of Lízar, natural swimming pool of Pozo Batán
• Heritage Value: Medium
• Landscape Value: High
• Condition: Medium state of repair
• Type of hydraulic structure: Canals and industry
• Stage of the Great Málaga Path: Stage 6. Frigiliana - Cómpeta
• Where to find it: Frigiliana
• Period: medieval / 17th century / 19th century
• Architect: Conde de Aguilar and Frigiliana
• UTM Coordinates:
- 420054,8476, 4072591,633 Acequia de Lízar
- 420408,0998, 4072580,587 Pozo Batán
- 420171,4984, 4072103,113 Fábrica de Nuestra Señora del Carmen
HOW TO FIND IT
The factory is still in operation today and can be found in the heart of the town of Frigiliana, at the Plaza del Ingenio. As we continue up to the upper part of the village, the Lízar irrigation canal can be reached from the Lízar well, which will take us to the Higuerón River. There, we can enjoy a beautiful route featuring waterfalls, natural pools and cascades. Also, from the lower part of the village one can access the Higuerón River and ascend its course to the Pozo de Batán and its irrigation canal all the way to the water catchment area.
The Nuestra Señora del Carmen factory is today the only operating plant for cane honey production on the coast of Málaga. The maquinillas (sugar cane mills) are in good condition, although they have been transformed into homes and residential premises. La Molineta has also lost its original activity but preserves the grand smokestack. Lastly, the irrigation canal must be walked carefully as it is not equipped for tourist visits and includes some dangerous stages.
A fun fact about Frigiliana’s hydraulic-industrial ensemble is that every factory was linearly arranged from the rest yet at different heights so that the same irrigation canal could power the water wheels of up to five factories.
The ensemble certainly constitutes one of the most ancient, well- preserved and functioning systems of irrigation of Moorish tradition that has endured over time by being reused repeatedly.
How to get there
Discover more about the province of Malaga
- Discover more about the province of Malaga