Hondonero Via Ferrata, Villanueva del Rosario. Nororma
This via ferrata is placed in Hondonero, a very beautiful ecological area. It is placed half-way between two viewpoints which can be seen here, and on a hiking route which leads to Chamizo. This is one of the highest points in the province, placed at an altitude of 1,640 metres.
The route has 170 metres long cables. It can be approached directly from the floor, so no climbing kit is needed for that purpose. On the way to the top, there are two walkways on the sides that lead to the top of the mountain. On your way back, you can walk along a path.
This trail is not difficult at all. There are only two easy overhangs, so it is ideal for beginners. You can enjoy wonderful views during the climb.
From Villanueva del Rosario, take the way to Hondonero up to the Virgen del Rosario country chapel. You can continue walking from there on or go by car along a forest track for next three kilometres. When you get there, you will see a small area of flat ground and an information board on the via ferrata. This is the beginning of the route. If you go around Cazorla Hill westwards, you will see the start of the trail.
• Town: Villanueva del Rosario
• Nearest place: Villanueva del Rosario
• Location (UTM coordinates): X: 381284; Y: 4093810
• Difficulty: Easy K2
• Length of the route: 97 m
• Elevation: 55 m
• Overhangs: 2
• Tibetan bridge: 0
• Hanging bridge: 0
• Zip-line: 0
• Total estimated time: Return trip from the car park -1 hour and 30 minutes.
• Estimated access time from the car park: 15 minutes
• Estimated time of the route: 1 hour
• Estimated time needed to go back to the car park: 15 minutes
Hiking routes that are linked:
• Sierra Gorda Route
• Las Fuentes Route
• Chamizo Peak Route
• Los Tajos (Cliffs) Route
• GR-7 E-4 Long-distance Path
• Great Málaga Path Long-distance Path (GR 249)
• Alto de Hondonero Viewpoint
• Chamizo Peak
• Honodero Meadow
• Birwatching Point
• Hondonero Lake
• Desprendimiento del Chamizo (Rodaero)
• Virgen del Rosario Country Chapel
• The Source of Rio Cerezo
• Traditional Life Centre (CIVA)
Discover more about the province of Malaga
- Discover more about the province of Malaga