This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data.

Cookies policy

Natural Park Montes de Málaga

Diputación de Málaga
Catálogo Luces reveladoras. Atardecer y Pinos en Parque de los Montes de Málaga

Natural Park Montes de Málaga

Montes de Málaga Natural Park is located quite near the capital of the Costa del Sol and can be said to serve as a "green lung" for the city. This park - found in the central-western zone of the Baetic Range - encompasses a mid-mountain landscape of gentle topography, criss crossed by small valleys populated with extensive pine forests.

The park's 4,996 hectares are situated to the north of the city of Málaga and take in the majority of the left side of the Guadalmedina River basin. 96% of its total area is located within the municipal district of Málaga while the other 4% is divided between the districts of Casabermeja and Colmenar.


To the north of the city of Malaga. Main access road: N-321.


Mediterranean forest covering an area of almost five thousand hectares between Casabermeja and the city of Malaga. A series of mountains with steep slopes and prominent peaks that are home to abundant streams of fluctuating volume which flow into the River Guadalmedina.

Plant Life

The most commonly-found species of vegetation is the pine, primarily of the Aleppo variety, in whose shelter evergreen oaks, carob trees, wild olives and gall oaks grow; cork oaks, almonds and other crop trees are also present here. The accompanying scrub consists of Mediterranean mezereons, bush germanders, kermes oaks, sarsaparillas, lentisks, oleanders, strawberry trees, myrtles and junipers. However, the most important species to be found in the Malaga mountains is the Mediterranean fan palm, the only indigenous species of palm tree in Europe

Animal Life

Numerous mammals inhabit the mountains, predominantly carnivores such as the fox, badger, wild boar, marten, genet, polecat and weasel. Rabbits and, squirrels are also to be found. Notable among the birdlife are a large colony of azure-winged magpies and a multitude of birds of prey (snake eagle, booted eagle, goshawk, sparrowhawk, buzzard, barn owl and tawny owl). Amphibians and reptiles are numerous here, the latter including the chameleon, salamander, Spanish sand racer, eyed lizard, etc.


The area was once a major vineyard and wine-producing area; however, the outbreak of phylloxera in 1878 led to a decline in agricultural activity. Hunting is common in the mountains. Hiking, horse riding, potholing and climbing are also popular. This natural park, like its Los Alcornocales counterpart, has been awarded the Aenor ISO 14001 certificate, which is a recognised seal of approval in terms of environmental management. It indicates continual improvement in the performance of all workers involved in the running of the park.

How to get there

Discover more about the province of Malaga

Discover more about the province of Malaga