Libélula Cordulegaster boltonii
Length: From 74 to 85 mm.
Hindwing spam: From 40 to 51 mm.
Male: 1. Yellow frons, clypeus and jaws. 2. Green eyes. 3. Black thorax with wide yellow stretcheson the back and on the sides. 4. Black abdomen with yellow markings. 5. Thicker S7 and S8. 6. Thin prolonged small black pterostigma. 7. Front margin of yellow wings (vein Costa).
Female: It is similar to the male in patters and colouration, but it is larger; its abdomen is thicker (8) and there is vulvar spine that looks like a long and striking thorn (9).
In general, it reproduces in middle and upper river and stream courses with perennial water bodies that are cold and supplied with oxygen. It can also be found in springs, water tanks, fountains and drinking troughs in middle and upper mountains. It is a good indicator of water quality.
Way of life
It usually flies low along the rivers and streams where the vegetation is dense and there are, above all, willows. When at rests, it hangs vertically or diagonally and it fully opens its wings. It rests on trees, bushes and tall grasses on sunny mornings and in shady areas when it is hot. It flies far away from the place where it mates, so it can be seen well away from water bodies.
When to see this species
In Málaga, it flies from May to September, but it is the most commonly seen in June and July.
Where to see this species
It is widespread in the province, but its range is limited. It has been seen along the following stages of the Great Málaga Path: 5, 7, 11, 23, 27, 31, 32 and 33. Due to its tendency to spread, it is likely to be found along many of the routes, especially, on those that go through locations which are suitable for this species.
It can be mostly confused with Macromia splendens.
The species is not endangered nor particularly protected by the current environmental law.
Routes where it can be observed
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 05. Nerja - Frigiliana
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 07. Cómpeta - Canillas de Aceituno
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 11. Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 23. El Burgo - Ronda
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 27. Benalauría - Genalguacil
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 31. Marbella - Ojén
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 32. Ojén - Mijas
- Great Malaga Path (GR 249). Stage 33. Mijas - Benalmádena