The third and current logo of the Provincial Council of Málaga was born in 2004 during the reign of the 2003-2007 Council, when Salvador Pendón was President. It resulted from a plenary agreement of 16th March, 2004.
The logo’s main feature is the letter “M”. Its force resides in the simplicity of its form. It evokes the human need to communicate with others and speaks to the human capacity for understanding.
The letter “M” – chosen because it is the first letter of the word Málaga – was designed by Italian typographer, J.B. Bodoni (Saluzzo, 1740 – Parma, 1813) and brought to Spain by Málaga’s own Manuel Alolaguirre (Málaga. 1905 – Burgos, 1959) on the pages of the magazine of the Generation of ‘27, Litoral.
The letter “M” is adorned on its upper left-hand side with a curved line taken from the letter “Ñ” in the same font; in the logo, the curve is given greater width. The curved line bestows the logo with a winged or wavy effect. The letter and its curvature symbolise one entity: the province of Málaga. They also represent two important characteristics of the province:
- The “M” corresponds to the mountains, earth, and interiors of the province. It symbolises strength, balance and stability.
- The wave represents the coast of Málaga: the sea, the profound, intellectual and spiritual nature of our culture, the ethereal and dynamic nature of water and air.
The colour chosen for the letter “M” is blue (Pantone 300 in ready-made colour or a100% cyan and 45% magenta blend).
The “M” is accompanied by the words “Malaga.es diputación”, which bear both bold (málaga) and rounded (.es diputación) effects, in a font bearing the name of Swiss designer, Adrian Frutiger (Interlaken, 1923).