The edge of the coast is home to three watchtowers, Torre Bermeja, Torre Quebrada and Torre Muelle. Torre. Torre Bermeja is mentioned in the earliest records of the Christian era, which suggests that it was built by the Muslims, though it has been the subject of repairs and extensions from the XVI century onwards, most notably the double impost at the top and the ravelin at the base.
Torre Bermeja owes its name to the red hue of the land on which it stands, near the entrance to Benalmádena pleasure harbour, formerly known as 'Punta Saltillo' (another tower of the same name which stood on the road between Churriana and Cártama was left abandoned by the Castilians after the war).
The Saltillo tower, which was built by the Muslims in the XVI century, stands ten metres high and is three metres in diameter, its base reinforced by a conical structure added in 1567 by the stonemason Pedro de la Chica to counteract the effects of the strong winds that prevailed in the area. At night, a soldier from Torre Quebrada would meet his counterpart from Torre de los Molinos here to exchange intelligence reports before returning to their respective bases the flowing morning.