The Pías Schools (IES Luis Barahona de Soto)
The Escuelas Pias are a building of educational use (initially under the tutelage of the Piarists or Escolapios) located in the historic center of the city, next to the Church of Jesus of Nazareth. Both buildings are currently serving as secondary school. Founded in the 18th century, its stone faèade and clock tower are worthy of note. The church is dedicated to Jesus of Nazareth, whose 17th century image is of great artistic value and enjoys fervent popular devotion.
The Schools were founded in 1757 and construction of the building began in 1759, led by master mason Blas del Espîritu Santo. The work was completed in November 1794. In the beginning, the students came mostly from the region, although shortly after its opening the center became one of the most prestigious schools in Andalusia, attracting students from various places. The best known student was Blas Infante (known as father of the Andalusian nation), who studied in Archidona between 1896 and 1900.
Ranked artistic historical monument, the building occupies a plot of 2736 square meters, divided into two blocks including the church attached. The building functioned as the Pious School College until 1950, and since then, houses the Secondary School (Instituto de Enseñanza Secundaria) Luis Barahona de Soto.