Fortress Castle of the Small King
The majority of the Castillo de Qasr Bunayra dates back to the 10th century and it has been declared as a Good of Cultural Interest, although today there is very little to be seen; only several towers and some wall canvasses. However, efforts are being made to restore it.
It was most likely the Romans who first settled here, although it was the Arabs who made it live its moment of greatest splendour. This is especially true of Umar ibn Hafsum, who, in 922, used it as his operations base in his fight against Bobastro: it was, in fact, a bastion in the defence line in the fight against the forces at the different border posts. For this reason it turned into the main Arab settlement in the municipality and eventually the walled city grew up around it.
This situation ended on the 2nd of June, 1485, when the Spanish Christian forces regained control of the town and the surrounding area. They stayed in the military fortress up until the 18Ith century.