Church-Convent of Santa María de la Encarnación
The Iglesia-Convento de Santa María de la Encarnación dates back to 1485 and was built on the site of an ancient mosque. It is next to the tower that was once a two-tiered minaret, which is today the belfry.
It was the first Parish church in Coin and was commissioned by the Reyes Católicos, immediately after the fall of Coin. Its name was chosen by Queen Isabel la Católica , as she was very devoted to this Virgin.
The convent is built in true Mudejar style and belonged to the Orden de las Clarisas. However, the influence of the Mozarabe leaders can still be seen on the exterior. On the inside, it has a simple one-nave layout with a ribbed dome and plasterwork decorations.
During the Republican Government it was turned into the Casa del Pueblo, which meant that it was one of the few buildings of its kind that was not totally destroyed, although the images and ornaments were.
Today, the Convent and its facilities are used as exhibition halls, as well as having special rooms that have been set apart for ethnographic and archaeological articles. It is also the headquarters of the Universidad Popular and is used to hold a wide range of cultural and artistic events.