Esta web utiliza cookies para obtener datos anónimos de acceso. Si continúa utilizando este sitio asumiremos que está de acuerdo.

Church of Victoria

Diputación de Málaga

Church of Victoria

Built in the mid XVI century, it belonged to the now defunct Convento de Frailes Mînimos de San Francisco de Paula, a monastery founded in 1556 on the site of the Ermita de Santa Catalina, donated to this order by the Count of Urende. Following the War of Independence, the complex was left in very bad condition. As a result, the monastery was demolished and only the church, whose main faèade is crowned by an attractive bell gable, now remains.

The premises of the original church only went as far as the present-day crossing, the chapel, sacristy and dome being added following the purchase of a house situated behind the main altar in 1624.

During the XVIII century, the main altarpiece, the main faèade and the San Francisco de Paula dressing room, later occupied by the Virgen de la Paz, were built. In the late XX century, the bell gable was restored and an arch was built to link the church with the street.

The church has three naves separated by cross-shaped pillars and is home to a number of altarpieces and images. Its decoration is largely Baroque in style.

Over the years, it has been used as a hospital, a barracks for Napoleon’s troops and, finally, a church once more.

Monuments and Art > Hermitage and Chapel
Plaza de la Victoria, s/n, Zip Code 29300