This museum, which is currently being restored, is located in the convent of the Carmelitas Descalzas order and was inaugurated in 1999. It is the result of the desire and effort of the nuns themselves to display an their own extensive art collection, of immense artistic value and never before unveiled to the general public.
Entry is via the door of the Iglesia de San José, which is the first port of call on our visit and is described later in its own section.
Proceeding through the sacristy, we come to the Museum’s upper rooms, though not before stopping to admire pieces such as a mirror from the time of Velázquez, an ivory figure of Christ and several XVIII-century oil portraits of important figures from the Indies connected with the convent.
A staircase takes us up to a gallery filled with lattices and glass urns which in turn leads to the museum’s three rooms: Tribuna, San Luis and Soledad. The patio of the convent with a fountain at its centre can be admired from all three.
At the centre of the room is a bust of the Dolorosa by the Granada sculptor Pedro de Mena. Its walls are adorned with a large collection of the works of the Mannerist painter Antonio Mohedano, the highlight of which is a painting of San Miguel Arcángel venciendo al demonio with its strong mixed race American influences.
In the same room, a glass wall cabinet contains an interesting collection of images of the Baby Jesus, figures from the mystery of Bethlehem and numerous articles of silverware. Also worthy of note for its unusual nature is an image/replica of the Virgen del Rosario kept in a magnificent urn made of tin and glass.
SALA DE SAN LUIS:
Of particular note here are the magnificent sculptures of the Inmaculada and San José, created by Nicolás Fumo in 1705, and one of the museum’s most prized possessions, a small sculpture of El Niño Jesús Pastorcito, attributed to Francisco Salcillo.
Finally, mention should be made of the display case which houses a significant collection of silverware, the highlight of which is a XIX century relic holder containing a letter signed by Santa Teresa dating back to 1577.
SALA DE LA SOLEDAD:
Its name is a reference to the half-body dressed image of the Virgen de la Soledad, a XVII-century work by the Antequera sculptor Antonio del Castillo. On display here is one of the museum’s finest sculptures, the Virgen de Belén, an exquisite piece attributed to Luisa Roldán, known as "La Roldana".