Church Convent of San Jose de la Soledad
The Carmelite convent of San Jose de la Soledad was founded in the late sixteenth century (particularly in the 26th of September, 1591) by Fray Antonio de Jesus, disciple of Saint Teresa and companion of Saint Juan de la Cruz. This convent played a decisive role in the urban development of Vélez-Málaga, since under the monastic foundation came the populous district of El Carmen.
The founder of the monastery's died in April 22, 1601, and was buried on his premises. Following the confiscation of Mendizabal in the nineteenth century, the convent was abandoned by the friars, but the church remained open for worship until the early twentieth century when it passed to host a cinema, casino and housing.
In the area of the garden, which was auctioned in 1822, it was built a bullring in 1894, which only lasted until it was demolished in 1967.
The original church became the Theater of El Carmen in the early nineties of the twentieth century. The building has three naves separated by arches and an interesting coffered ceiling mudejar. The length of the ship is 38 metres by just 9 metres width in the center and 6 in the aisles. Its height goes up to 18 and a half metres and on the facade of Mannerist style stands a triangular pediment with central oculus.