The Consulate. The Economic Society
THE ECONOMIC SOCIETY
PERIOD 18th century
This building was created in 1785 and was first occupied by the Maritime Consul and later used as a Jesuit school. It is a typical example of 18th century domestic architecture with running balconies on the upper floors, off which there are regular openings, and it has a central patio surrounded by overhanging galleries.
Its most significant element is its majestic portico of veined marble, which depicts an allegory dedicated to the Montepío de Socorro a los Cosecheros (mutual widows and orphans society for harvesters - eau de vie, raisins, figs, almonds and olive oil), which was created by the Bishop of Malaga and its charitable function within the city, and contains olive trees, fig trees, almond trees and vines representing the aforementioned products.
Many other institutions were housed in this building, which was declared an Artistic Architectural Monument in 1932: the Sociedad Económica de Amigos del País (Friends of the Country Economic Society) in 1790; the San Telmo Royal Academy of Fine Arts, in 1850; the School of Fine Arts; the incipient Fine Arts Museum, schools and others. However, since 1961 to our days, it has been the headquarters of the Economic Society.
HOW TO FIND IT
Address: PL CONSTITUCION 7, 29008 Málaga
Telephones: Centralita: 952226410