The Mansion in the Park.Town Hall
On 11th April 1919 the Town Council took possession of what was to become the Town Hall, and still is to the present day.
The new building, the work of architects Guerrero Strachan and Manuel Rivera Vera, was to satisfy a double need: on one hand that of responding to the increasing administrative demands of a growing city and, on the other, that of projecting a renewed image of prestige and progress.
The construction project not only contemplated a new Town Hall, but also a Provincial Court and the Courts of First Instance.
The building is situated on one of the city's main communication arteries, the Paseo del Parque where it constitutes an additional decorative element, given its character as an artistic monument, represented both by the beauty of its faèades and the decoration in the interior, which transmits an air of prestige
The Town Hall BuildingWork began on the Town Hall building in 1912, under the Mayor at the time, Ricardo Albert, and the project was completed in 1919, with Manual Romero Raggio at the head of the Corporation. With a total cost of one million five hundred thousand pesetas, the works required two million bricks, six hundred tons of cement, five hundred cubic metres of stone, two hundred and fifty of wood, one hundred of lime and two hundred tons of iron.
Amongst the numerous interesting features of this building, some are particularly outstanding, such as the glazing, which was entrusted to Maumejan of Paris, as well as the balustrade of the main staircase, the wrought ironwork or the decorative railings.Also worthy of mention is the decoration on the front faèade, work of the sculptor Francisco Palma, which contains a series of allegoric sculptures dedicated to Architecture, the Navy, Industry, Fishing and Commerce.
A lady, representing Malaga, has at her feet a man lying with a broken chain in his hands, representing the lemmas of the city 'Very Hospitable' and "To the fore whenever freedom is endangered". Also by Francisco Palma are the heralds on the ornamentations at the top of the building, which represent the different Spanish kingdoms. On the side faèades there are sculptures by Garcîa Carrera, allegories depicting Sculpture, Fishing, Agriculture, Pedagogy, Music, Navigation, Art, Banking and the Railways.
The lions and vases that adorn the main staircase are also by Garcîa Carrera.On the other hand, in the interior both the 'Salón de los Espejos' (Mirrored Hall) and the Council Chamber are interesting from an artistic point of view.
The decoration in the former includes paintings by Nogales, Jaraba, Burgos Ons, Murillo Carreras and Vivó as well as sculptures by Palma and Zaneti. In the Council Chamber there are number of paintings distributed in the foreground, between which the city's four mottos are represented, painted by Álvarez Dumont; on the ceiling there are allegories depicting Culture and Eloquence, by Guerrero del Castillo; Honesty and Justice by Capulino Jáuregui, and Freedom and Public Spirit by Bermúdez Gil. At the back of the Chamber there are paintings by the artist Muñoz Degrain.
HOW TO FIND IT
Address: AV CERVANTES 4, 29016 Málaga
Telephones: Centralita: 952135000