This is considered as a real jewel in the crown of Andalusian urban development of the XVIIIth century. The mix of French styles and the Mudejar tradition has led to the creation of one of the most beautiful squares in all of Spain. Up until 1956, bullfights were often run within this octagonal enclosure.
It is situated right at the heart of the ancient quarter of the city in the Plaza Ochavada of Archidona, which is considered as one of the most beautiful Baroque structures around..
Built in 1786 by the local master builders Antonio González Sevillano and
Francisco Astorga Frías, whose idea to build a octagonal square using primarily French architectural style was quite original in its day. The square combines classical aspects, with the more traditional local style used in Andalusian courtyards. The interior of the square combines the redbrick, so typical of the Mudejars, the whitewashed walls, so quintessential in local villages.
Another interesting square in the village is the one that goes by the name of Plaza de la Victoria. It is the heart of the daily comings and goings of the village’s inhabitants.
Two important buildings overlook this square: el Ayuntamiento and the old Public granary or Cilla, which has a splendid Baroque stone facade, and the Church of Victoria.