Small terrestrial bird (about 19 cm or 7.5 in) with a characteristic long tail of grey and yellow tones that it usually moves rhythmically. Long legs. Dorsal plumage of brown tones and yellow in the ventral area. Grey head with black throat and bib. White moustachial stripe and eyebrow. Dark wings. The female has white bib and throat and the belly is less yellow. The males lose in winter the black bib and throat, too.
Where it lives
Streams with running water and rocky bottoms, small waterfalls and humid climate. Preference for mountain areas with good tree coverage. In winter it also uses ponds and aquatic systems with calmer waters.
How it lives
Species resident in the province all year round. The breeding begins in March. It makes two annual layings of 4 to 6 eggs. Nest in cracks of slopes or under bridges located in the streams where it lives. This bird feeds on insects, both terrestrial and aquatic.
Where it can be seen in Malaga
Species less frequent than the rest of wagtails, but usual in the province. In the Great Path it can be watched in stages 4, 5, 12, 24, 25, 27 and 28, for example.
This "pipita" (vernacular name of wagtails in Malaga) is associated with streams of clean and moving water. The species is called in Spanish "lavandera cascadeña", which in English means "cascade washerwoman". As the name suggests, it is easier to see in the proximity of small cascades and waterfalls.
Routes where it can be observed
- Costa del Sol Occidental
- Fuente de los 100 Caños
- Genal and Guadiaro rivers junction
- Genil River banks
- GR 249. Stage 04: Torrox - Nerja
- GR 249. Stage 05: Nerja - Frigiliana
- GR 249. Stage 10: Alfarnatejo (Pulgarín Alto) - Alfarnate
- GR 249. Stage 11: Alfarnate - Villanueva del Rosario
- GR 249. Stage 12: Villanueva del Rosario - Archidona
- GR 249. Stage 23: El Burgo - Ronda
- GR 249. Stage 24: Ronda - Estación de Benaoján
- GR 249. Stage 25: Estación de Benaoján - Jimera de Líbar
- GR 249. Stage 27: Benalauría - Genalguacil
- GR 249. Stage 28: Genalguacil - Casares
- GR 249. Stage 29: Casares - Estepona
- GR 249. Stage 30: Estepona - Marbella
- GR 249. Stage 32: Ojén - Mijas
- GR 249. Stage 35: Alhaurín de la Torre - Málaga
- Hoz de Marín
- Montes de Malaga Natural Park
- Río del Burgo
- Río Jorox
- Tajos del Fraile, Doña Ana y Gómer
- The Mouth of Rio Velez
- Valley of Genal River
- Valley of the Guadalhorce River