This religious building dates back to the late XVIII century, though it was restored in the XIX. It consists of a single nave built in a style which is reminiscent of neo-gothic though with a number...
This construction, a huge project in its day, was begun on the 13th of February 1913 by Luís de Armiñán, Member of Parliament for the Liberal Party in Málaga who was also...
Action funded by the Competitiveness Tourism Plan of Sierra Norte of Malaga in order to revalue the river Genil, by conditioning several observation points around for studying and learning local...
As for the origins of the town, the remains found in the Belda cave prove that the area has been inhabited since prehistoric times and that it was an important location in both Roman and Arabic...
Cuevas de San Marcos is a municipality in the region of Nororma, in the province of Malaga. It is between the Sierra Camorro and the Genil River, and near the Iznájar reservoir, the largest in Andalusia.
Active tourism aficionados and all travelers wanting to be in contact with nature can enjoy a fantastic range of activities and places to visit, such as the Sierra Camorro Fault.
NOT TO MISS IN CUEVAS DE SAN MARCOS
The most important archaeological site of Cuevas de San Marcos is in Sierra Camorro: The Medina de Belda Site, where the old medieval city settled.
On the other hand, the Cave of Belda brings together a larger number of speleologists each year. The interior contains interesting karst formations, stalactites and stalagmites, and three inland lakes. This cave also denotes the presence of prehistoric settlers thanks to the discovery of some remains.
In the beautiful setting of the town, we can also visit two outstanding civil constructions, the Aceña waterwheel, from the eighteenth century, and Luis Armiñán Bridge, built in 1910.
The Municipal Archaeological Museum helps us to become aware of the great historic and prehistoric heritage of Cuevas de San Marcos. Highlights are the Punic-Roman pieces, a diverse collection of Hispano-Muslim and Visigoth ceramic materials.
In the town center stands the church of St Mark the Evangelist a part baroque, part neoclassical building built in the seventeenth century and remodeled in the eighteenth century.
Also from the eighteenth century is the chapel of Carmen, small temple that combines Neo-Gothic and neo-classical influences and has a unique hexagonal shrine.
Where to eat
Where to stay