Esta web utiliza cookies para obtener datos anónimos de acceso. Si continúas navegando, consideramos que aceptas nuestra política de cookies.

×

Canillas de Aceituno

Diputación de Málaga

The town of Canillas de Aceituno extends along the slopes of the Sierra Tejada to the La Maroma peak, the highest in the province of Málaga. For its location alone, this town in the Axarquía region, is the perfect place to enjoy both nature and culture.

Founded in the Al-Ándalus period, the town conserves its Arabic roots through the layout of its streets and various interesting architectural sights. This historical legacy means Canillas de Aceituno forms part of the Mudéjar Route, which has been declared of Tourist Interest in Andalusia.

 

MUST SEE SIGHTS IN CANILLAS DE ACEITUNO

MONUMENTS

When walking through the town one can see the Casa de los Diezmos o de la Reina Mora, which sports a tower with blind twin arches. The building, an example of the area's typical Mudéjar architecture, was the place from which the silk worm and mulberry leaf trade was overseen.

Another example of the town"s historical architecture is the Casa Esgrafiada. It was built in the 16th century and is decorated with Moorish motifs and horse shoe arches. The building also boasts a lookout tower erected in the 17th century.

Canillas de Aceituno has various reservoirs, showing the importance of water in the Axarquía regional town. El Aljibe Árabe o Medieval is from the 16th century and can be found on Huertezuelo street and more modern examples include El Pilar Grande and El Chico.

The church of Nuesta Señora del Rosario y San León Magno dates back to the 16th century and is in a Gothic-Mudéjar style. It can be found in the higher part of the town and from its terrace one can take in the countryside. Its interior has two Baroque chapels and an image of the Virgen de la Cabeza with various valuable silver plated features, as well as other interesting pieces of artwork. Its exterior features include the main tower.

From the viewpoint of the castle, and the top of the Calzada street, you can see the ruins of the fortaleza de Canillas de Aceituno. Occupied by the Christians during the Reconquest of 1487, some remains of the wall of the original complex fortification that used to protect the town, are conserved.

Where to eat

Click here

Where to stay

Click here

Links of interest

Escudo de Canillas de Aceituno
Town Hall
Plaza de la Constitución, 22, 29716 
952518002
952518135
Areas
Geographic Data
Surface 42 km2
Altitude 645 m
Latitude 36º 52'
Length -4º 05'
Distance to Málaga City 53,9 km
Demographics
Population 1672
Men 891
Women 781
Nationality Canilleros